Lingerie tips and care guide provided by our go-to care experts, Gwen Whiting and Lindsey Boyd, co-founders of The Laundress.
Caring for Bras & Lingerie
• Pretreat stains on heavily worn or delicate areas such as straps, underwire, and lace with The Laundress Wash & Stain Bar. Use the bar to remove stains, while working the area simultaneously.
Handwashing is the safest method for treating delicate bras, underwear, and lingerie.
• Prepare a bath: Fill a basin or sink with tepid water and add 2 capfuls of Lingerie Wash or Delicate Wash.
• Submerge item: Gently agitate the water so your items will be evenly soaped and wet.
• Soak for up to 30 minutes—do not soak silk for longer.
• If there’s color in the water, this is normal, the dye is simply releasing color. You will not notice any loss of color post wash.
• Rinse well: Run tepid water through items until rinse water is no longer soapy.
• Remove water: Do not wring. Instead, press the water out of your item.
• Hang to dry or lay item flat in its natural shape on a drying rack.
• If your item needs finishing, steam to remove wrinkles; do not use the iron directly on silk or synthetics.
Shall I launder my leather?
Lingerie with leather accents can be mischievous to care for – often times leather can crack or discolor when wet. Always check the care label to see whether or not the leather is washable. If not, you should consult the dry cleaners. Feeling daring? Test your leather pieces by wetting a small, inconspicuous section of the leather with a cloth and allow to air dry. If the leather retains its smooth, soft touch, it should be safe to handwash in tepid water with Lingerie Wash or Delicate Wash.
Tips for Your Midnight Dips…
Rinsing your swimwear after a dip is the best method for prolonging the life of your suits. Letting fabric sit with salt and chlorine is a major no-no.
• Stain removal: Treat stains, especially those on straps & underwire, with the Laundress Stain Solution.
• Odor removal: Add ¼ cup of Scented Vinegar to a tepid water bath, and soak item for 30 minutes.
• Prepare a bath: Fill a basin or sink with tepid water and add 2 capfuls of Lingerie Wash or Sport Detergent.
• Soak for up to 30 minutes.
• Rinse well: Squeeze out water, do not ring or twist as this will stress the elastic and reduce longevity.
• Skip the dryer and hang to dry – the dryer will break down the elastic fibers.
And Don't Forget...
Bypass the Cleaners
Nearly 90% of your wardrobe is washable- including wool, silk, and most synthetics. Keep an eye out for viscose, rayon, and polyimides – they can be problem causers.
We always recommend steaming over ironing. It’s safer and more fabric-friendly, not to mention much easier to execute. Just hover over a hung item with the steamer’s nozzle and work in vertical movements from top to bottom.
The best way to avoid stains- especially build-up on areas close to the skin like armpits, straps, and collars- is to pretreat garments each time before laundering…even when no stains are visibly apparent. Trust us, your pieces will last longer and wear more beautifully over time.